Hey all! We have a new submissions manager called Duosuma, so from now on, head over there to submit! (For accessible options, contact us via email.)
So in case you didn’t know, we’re totally taking submissions. Here’s a quick rundown of what you need to know:
- We accept submissions on a rolling basis.
- After notification of acceptance to either the General Call or Micro Call, you may not submit again for a period of three (3) months.
- SIMULTANEOUS SUBMISSIONS: We accept them but please LET US KNOW if you’re sending us one. Also please notify us if your piece was accepted elsewhere so that we may remove it from consideration.
Submission Requirements for General Call:
- You may submit up to two (2) pieces at a time. (For poems, this means 2 individual poems, not 2 blocks of poetry.)
- 3k words maximum per piece. (Due to our web format, we favor shorter pieces. We will look at longer stories, but we expect those to be much more polished and tight.)
- Include a cover letter plus a short contributor’s note written in the third person (this is important!)
- For writing, stick to .doc .docx .txt or .rtf formats.
For art please stick to jpegs. Audio/video should be in .mp3 or .mp4
- Please place EACH of your submissions in its own individual file.
(separate docs for writing, separate jpegs for images).
- DO NOT just paste your submission directly into the body of your email because we won’t look at it.
- The email subject header should read “Submission:” followed by the genre of your submission(s). (i.e. Submission: Fiction OR Submission: Poetry and Non-Fiction)
- As we are an online publication, we do not accept traditionally mailed submissions.
We also do not need your address, phone number, or other personal information. For cyber security reasons we actually recommend not sending these out to anyone when you don’t need to.
(NEW!) Submission Requirements for Micro Call:
- You may submit up to five (5) pieces of micro fiction or non-fiction, with a max of 150 words for each piece OR submit up to five (5) poems of 3 lines each, as long as you have not already submitted to our General Call. If you have submitted to our General Call, please wait until you have received a response from us before submitting to the Micro call (and vice versa).
- Please place ALL of your submissions in a single file.
- Other than word count and number of pieces, the rest of the General Call requirements apply to this call too. (So read everything above!)
Other stuff you should know:
- If your piece is accepted, you retain the copyright.
- We accept literary as well as genre fiction.
- We currently do not pay for submissions.
(But check out our Donate page because we want to change that)
- We accept reprints as long as you hold the copyright.
- Submissions you send us should be ready to publish. If we see a lot of grammatical or verb tense errors, we probably won’t accept your piece.
- Current response time is about 6 weeks.
- We accept anything and everything. We’re focused on fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and art but we’d love to see experimental works that are suited to this digital platform as well! (Also see our Wish List.)
- We’re fine with controversial subject matter as long as it suits the story.
- Accepted submissions are generally published 3-4 months after they were submitted.
(For example, if you submit in June, and are accepted, your piece will be published in September or October.)
You will be notified in advance of the date your piece will be published.
- We accept submissions from people of all ages
- Q: But what if I’m eighty?
- A: We don’t care.
- If you get a rejection, don’t be afraid to submit again!
We’re always happy to see repeat submitters in our inbox.
- It’s “The Metaworker.” Not “The Metalworker” or “The Meta worker”.
Now head on over to our Duosuma listing to submit, then go write some more!